Sunday, November 1, 2009

Paranormal Activity: Worst phenomenon since Crocs?

Currently sweeping the nation is Paranormal Activity, the scariest phenomenon in years. And I mean it's scary because people have been swept up by it, not that the film itself is actually scary. Sometimes micro-budget movies are truly fun and innovative (think about how hard you laughed watching Clerks for the first time), but sometimes they backfire. So is the case with Paranormal Activity.

Firstly, isn't that title a doozy? Sadly, it represents the rest of the movie. Boring and unimaginative. Doors creaking back and forth while the (annoying) couple sleeps is not scary. A woman standing by her bed for a few hours on end isn't scary. Essentially what I am trying to say is this: nothing happening? Not really scary.

I left the theatre after this film sorely dissapointed. I wasn't entertained by the very full 'plot'. I wasn't scared by the door's ability to move several inches or the character Micah's ability to be a complete douche. I wasn't in any way enlightened by what I saw. So basically, the movie served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Maybe I'm jaded because I am such a fan of the horror genre, but this movie is not innovative. It's a no-budget rip-off of better movies. My advice? Rent Poltergeist. Hell, get if for free from your local library. It's better than this drivel.

No comments:

Post a Comment